Week 4 - (Geo)Visualization + Choropleths
This lecture is partly inspired by (Rey, 2015) and (Tufte, 1983).
To do before class
- (Short) video on data visualisation by Nathan Yau
- Lecture on “Statistical maps” by Luc Anselin (link to 25min video).
- The Conversation piece on the Flint case, where the MAUP played a key role.
- Spend the rest of the prep hour browsing through his excellet blog, Flowing Data.
- Brewer, C. (2015). Designing better Maps: A Guide for GIS users. ESRI press.
- Rey, S. (2015). Geovisualization. In GPH471: Geographic Information Analysis. Lecture slides from course taught at Arizona State University.
- Tufte, E. R. (1983). The visual display of quantitative information. Graphics press Cheshire, CT.
- Yau, N. (2011). Visualize this: the FlowingData guide to design, visualization, and statistics. John Wiley & Sons.