Week 2 - Geo-Data
To do before class
Some examples of new data sources and how they are being applied:
- TED talk by Carlo Rati about
MIT’s SENSEable City Lab projects: excellent set of examples
- NY Times article by Steve Lohr about the Age of Big Data.
- The part of the lecture on new sources of data relies on (Arribas-Bel, 2014).
- (Goodchild, 2007): a classic on the rise of volunteered
- (Kitchin, 2014): recent book on the data revolution from a Social
Science/Human geography perspective.
- Arribas-Bel, D. (2014). Accidental, open and everywhere: Emerging data sources for the understanding of cities . Applied Geography , 49, 45–53. http://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeog.2013.09.012 The New Urban World .
- Goodchild, M. F. (2007). Citizens as sensors: the world of volunteered geography. GeoJournal, 69(4), 211–221.
- Kitchin, R. (2014). The data revolution: Big data, open data, data infrastructures and their consequences. Sage.